Fluffy pillows. Foam pillows. Feather pillows. Ahhh. The rest…or not.
Is your pillow a pain in the neck?
Have you ever gotten up with neck pain
and thought that your pillow might be responsible, creating or adding to your neck pain? Unquestionably, your chiropractor at Pensacola Spinal Rehab Center is informed of this potential and is ready to go over this crucial issue with you. And if you have neck pain due to pillow-related or other originator of neck pain
, your Pensacola chiropractor at Pensacola Spinal Rehab Center is here to help!
Now, your Pensacola chiropractor recognizes that a bad pillow choice affects poor sleep quality, low pillow comfort, and waking symptoms like neck pain. In one pillow-pain study, 106 volunteers scrutinized their own pillows to five trial pillows. For one week on each pillow, the pillow study participants recorded...
- any painful areas before going to sleep and any waking symptoms
- pillow-comfort ratings
The pillow-pain study results are that
- Using their own pillows, 42.5% reported no symptoms when waking.
- With their own pillows, 50% reported regular waking symptoms, failure to relieve pre-sleeping symptoms, uncomfortable pillows, and/or poor-quality sleep.
- All pillow participants who reported poor sleep quality also reported poor pillow comfort.
- Pillow-comfort reports were not related to any waking symptom report.
- Poor sleep quality was significantly related to waking neck stiffness and shoulder pain.
- Feather pillow users provided consistently low reports of pillow comfort and sleep quality.
So, this study concludes that many participants seem to have made poor pillow choices for themselves as poor sleep quality, low pillow comfort, and waking symptoms were common. (1)
Don’t let your pillow hurt you anymore! Talk with your Pensacola chiropractic partner about Pensacola pillow choices that may give you an improved night’s rest, leading to better mornings without neck pain.
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER